AKASHA Conversations #5 - Intentional Culture Design for Moderating

This month’s conversation focused on intentional culture design and the potential to create social spaces with naturally less need for heavy moderation. Placing the design attention on the causes rather than the effects sounds like a plan! :dizzy:

We’re delighted that Emaline Friedman led this conversation. With a doctorate in psychology in the context of information technology, Emaline is a key member of the Neighborhoods team. Neighborhoods is a framework for groupware that enables communities to design and select custom cultural patterns — all using p2p, “Web 3” software called Holochain.

Please continue the conversation and share your thoughts below! :speaking_head:

3 Likes

You can find our post-event blog post right here.

Or simply watch the Conversation where you find yourself right now. Right here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, everyone! Thanks to AKASHA for having me and to those of you who were at the talk. It was delightful joining you, and fun to rise to the occasion of answering your thought-provoking questions.

Here are my slides from the conversation. They’ll be of interest for those of you who want to sit a while longer with some of the ideas incubating over at https://neighbourhoods.network .

Cheers!

3 Likes

Hello Emaline :wave:

It’s great having you join us! Can you say more about the Social Sensemaker as a cultural computer? Is it possible for the Social Sensemaker to be misused or hijacked?

Will NHT be required for basic actions like: creating an account, messaging, posting, etc?

2 Likes

Welcome @emalinus ! It was really wonderful to have you speak to us last week. I meant to tell you how many things are actually amazingly overlapping with my thinking about the problem. Today I spoke to another attendee of the conversation and we agreed that it would be wonderful to keep exploring possibly synergies. This needs to be an open ecosystem were different forms of “worlds”, “neighborhoods”, in general different forms of communities can flourish and nourish each other. Let’s stay in touch and keep discussing more in the future!

2 Likes

Hey Martin- so glad to hear this! I could tell from your questions that we were right on the same page. Feel free to drop me a note here any time if you’d like to do an exploratory follow up call or something. Would love to hear what, specifically, you’re working on:)

2 Likes

Hey hey! Sure thing. The point of the SS is that it stands apart from modules that get bundled together to create a community’s shared toolset. It’s a part of each individual member’s instance of a neighbourhood (this owes mostly to Holochain’s architecture where there’s a user’s source chain whose entries get cross-verified by other people in a hApp space, whose headers are the code of hApps they’re using, and then a separate, public DHT).

As such, the SS is the facet of a neighbourhood that carries computations and cross-verifications on social data that the member is using. We think there will be NHs that are designed to have more shared views and others that focus more on providing customizable experiences within large data sets. It’s hard to tamper with this because the SS element is stored either directly on the users computers or perhaps hosted in an anonymous/decentralized fashion by Holo. We haven’t really done an analysis of the attack surface of a neighbourhood, but like all Holochain architecture it’s more open to Sybil attacks but more immune to 51% attacks. The former can be improved by strong profile/identity infrastructure which is key to the project.

About NHT - no! This is totally not a “monetize at every turn” sort of project:) NHT is a medium of exchange between creators of whole neighbourhoods and app devs who create apps that are generic/can be used across a whole bunch of neighbourhoods. It’s kind of a “funding the commons” style token where the aim is smoothing costs across many different NHs so none of them need to pay full cost for the apps they’re bundling. It’s likely that most people in a neighbourhood will never interact with NHT unless the bootstrapper of that neighbourhood requests it e.g. as a membership fee or something.

3 Likes

Dear @emalinus ! I am currently mostly focused on moderation - hence my specific questions. I liked and totally resonated with your proposal of a modular and experimental approach. Communities need to find the way that works for them, the platform needs to be able to be adapted and merge and mix with different flavors of approaching the moderating challenges. I’d love to share some of the work we did with you at some point and get your inout on it. I’ll ping you, OK? Have a great day.

1 Like

The funding the commons aspect is great. OK. Another thing to follow up with you :wink:

1 Like