A system is decentralized when it doesn’t have central components through which information flows, thereby avoiding concentrations of control and power. It is nevertheless only a means, not an ends in itself.
- Schneider, N. (2019). Decentralization: an incomplete ambition. Journal of Cultural Economy, 12(4), 265-285.
- Internet Society (2019). Consolidation in the Internet Economy
- Nottingham, M. (2022). Centralization and Internet Standards, draft ver 01
- Rossi, E., & Sørensen, C. (2019). Towards a theory of digital network de/centralization: platform-infrastructure lessons drawn from blockchain.
- Zhexi Zhang, G. (2018). Systems Seduction: The Aesthetics of Decentralisation. Journal of Design and Science.
- Buterin, V. (2017). The Meaning of Decentralization.
- Sheldrake, P. (2016). Decentralization — a deep cause of causes you care about deeply. Written for The World Wide Web Foundation.